Disclamer : Do not try any of this at home without proper SuperVision..
This Blog contains the rants and raves
of a married couple with child.. they are not YOUR typical parents...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I get it already...

(I just got off the phone with my mom. She's babysitting Melo today while I freelance.)

I was a terrible eater as a child. I was anemic. I had to get B12 shots. I don't know exactly what they were supposed to do, but every month I went to the doctor to get a shot.

I often fell asleep at the dinner table because my parents had me sit there until I "finished my plate." Once I even, the story goes, fell asleep with my face in a bowl of spaghetti.

You can imagine... hours after everyone has been done, I'm still sitting there. Was that right to do to a child? I don't think so, but I don't even care at this point. The past has passed, right? WRONG. Nothing is ever in the past with my mom. She's been collecting cards to pull on me since before I was born.

So flash forward: present day
My daughter is a very picky eater. Right now she's living on chicken nuggets, cheerios, milk and V8 Fusion. I don't think it's a problem. I keep trying to give her new foods. If she rejects them I don't push it and try again an other day.

Here's the thing...Anytime time I talk to my mom about my daughter (for example 5 minutes ago), I have to hear OVER AND OVER again what a pain in the ass I was as a child. Even in the womb. What a problem I was during pregnancy and then during infancy and childhood. What a problem. Always trouble. Terrible eater. Pain in the ass. You'll see. You'll get paid back for everything you did to me with your daughter.

I get it already. You're a martyr. I'm 32 years old. I don't need to keep hearing variations.

For the permanent record: My kid is not and never will be some sort of karmic punishment for me

No comments:

Post a Comment