Disclamer : Do not try any of this at home without proper SuperVision..
This Blog contains the rants and raves
of a married couple with child.. they are not YOUR typical parents...

Friday, October 22, 2010

baby/mama

I'm always telling my daughter that I love her. I can't help it. When we're snuggling, when I'm reading to her, when we're playing her doofy version of hide-and-seek... basically all the time. I love you Melania. I love you Melania. I love you Melania.

Then - the other day as she went to sleep "I love you Melania" and EUREKA that little mush face looks at me and says "I love you mommy." more like "ah luh you mahmeh" I can't describe what a deep-inhale, greeting card moment that was.

Well a couple days ago as I was leaving her at my mom's in the morning to babysit and said, "Bye baby. I love you," BAM! in front of my mom "ah luh you mahmeh"

my mom's eyes lit up... I thought with just sweet joy

what's my problem?!
that joy was laced with jealousy.

That entire day my mom was coaching Melo to say "I love you abuela" (ah luh you wela). SAY I LOVE YOU ABUELA Melania SAY I - LOVE - YOU - ABUELA. I LOVE you Melania - NOW YOU SAY I LOVE YOU ABUELA. She tried to showed me this morning and when I said "don't force her ma - she says it," my mom said "Yes - she says it to YOU but I want her to say it TO ME."

"Or else" could have been at the end of that sentence.

I'm sitting here kind of sad about that. I'm sure my mom will throughout the day coach and push and insist Melo tell her she loves her.

I'm sad because it turns such a nice, sweet, natural, organic thing into kind of a new trick, and also because it makes me feel like my mom is in some kind of bizarro competition with me.

am I being too sensitive?


2 comments:

  1. Girl, let me tell you that you're not being too sensitive, because my mom is just as "special." My mom goes around telling people that Gabriella looks like HER! So, um, yeah. It's OK. Just keep that wonderful moment when Melo said I love you tucked away tight in your heart. Moms are just crazy. It's their job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelle i miss you! I love this blog! It's what I miss about my blog... I need to get back to this...once school let's up a little let's get the fams together! Xoxo, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete